Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Yes...I drive Keke Marwa and am a woman

Omoyeni Agbokere is a 35-year-old widow who
has taken up a task most women would frown at
as a means of survival.
'First lady' is what she is fondly called by her
colleagues at the motor park, a name which she
inscribes on the back of her tricycle (Keke Marwa).
Driving a tricycle is not what she ever dreamt of
as a career, but her husband's death forced her to
look for a means of survival.
"My husband died two years ago," she said. "
Before he died, I used to engage in some petty
trading because he was the one taking care of
most of the family's needs. When he died, I had
to look for a better business to sustain me and
my family."
The mother of two says she has not regretted
her decision because she makes enough to take
care of her family.
"I have two children, a boy of 12 and a girl of
eight. This Keke Marwa business, I see it as
something I can use to help my family because it
is bringing a daily income. The money I make
every day depends on how much I work for the
day. I make between N2,000 and N3,000
everyday."

No comments:

Post a Comment